Greenwich Foot Tunnels
Project Name: Royal Borough of Greenwich Foot Tunnels Phase 1 & 2
TCA Client: Lakehouse Contract Ltd
Main Client: Royal Borough of Greenwich
Contract Value: £2m
Project Completion: June 2014
Form of Contract: JCT Intermediate Form 2011
The Greenwich Foot Tunnels are part of a £11.5 million renewal programme. This is the first time, since they were originally built, that works to this extent and complexity have been undertaken. This involves replacing all 4 lifts, new roof to rotunda, the refurbishment of stairs and lighting, deep clean, installation of CCTV – a complete refurbishment the full length of both tunnels.
The Royal Borough’s two foot tunnels are used by 1.5 million people per year.
The work as carried out in consultation with cyclists, traders and tunnel users.
The Foot Tunnel entrance.
The Greenwich Foot Tunnel runs under the River Thames between Cutty Sark Gardens and Island Gardens, on the Isle of Dogs. It is 1,217 feet in length and approximately 50 feet deep. Its original purpose was to allow south London residents to work in the docks on the Isle of Dogs. It was designed by Sir Alexander Binnie and was opened in late Victorian era on 4th August 1902 at a cost of £127,000. The tunnel is lined with 200,000 glazed white tiles.
The circular entrance buildings are similar both sides of the river and contain a lift and a long spiral flight of stairs. It is open 24 hours a day, although the lifts do not always run the full time.
The Woolwich Foot Tunnel is very similar. It is situated about three miles downstream and opened ten years later.